Friday, February 5, 2010

Zumba!

So last night was my first attempt at Zumba. Apparently, it's all the rage and despite my aversion to working out, it's supposed to be a lot of fun, so I went down to the YMCA, got my hand stamped, and Zumba-ed.

If you don't know, Zumba is a combination of different dances - hiphop, salsa, some other weird stuff. According to the official Zumba website, The Zumba® program fuses hypnotic Latin rhythms and easy-to-follow moves to create a one-of-a-kind fitness program that will blow you away. Well, I wouldn't go straight to blown away.

I read somewhere that you don't know how to dance to be good at Zumba. This is a lie. You know that song "Cha Cha Slide"? It's pretty simple, you slide to the left, slide to the right, at some point everybody claps their hands. But there's one part that always confused me, where you're instrcuted to cha-cha, real smooth ya'll. And you kind step front to back and try to shake your hips, and wait until the instructions are more clean cut.

That's how I felt most of Zumba. There were some parts I could follow - when everybody was kicking, or turning in circles. But most of the time I just felt like I was shaking my hips and hoping for the best. And honestly, I'm not very good at shaking my hips.

I don't think it helped that in a class of about 60, I was in the back row. I could barely see the perky blonde instructer. I could hear her, because she had a mic, and she kept encouraging people to whoop in a excited, Latin dancing type of way. This to me felt more akward than the hip/boob shaking.

Also, there was like a 75 year old woman who was kicking my ass. I felt pretty shitty about this at first, until I realized that when she tried to shake her ass, EVERYTHING on her shook. Not because she was...er, hefty, but because there was just a LOT of loose skin flapping around. For about a nanosecond I felt good about my firm, young person skin. But then I realized that unless I keep working out, eventually I would turn into that lady, except with less rhythm.

So to sum up - Zumba is a little fun, a lot bad for my self-esteem, and I'll be back in class on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment